Apple warns iPhone, iPad, and Mac users that attackers could take complete control of their devices and to update software as fast as possible.
Apple’s Security Risk
On Wednesday, Apple released security updates for iOS, iPadOS, and macOS platforms to tackle serious threats and vulnerabilities which “may have been actively exploited.” It means devices not yet updated could be at risk of an attack.
Apple explained the vulnerability: A hacker could get “full admin access” to the device, which would allow intruders to impersonate the device’s owner and run any type of software in their name.
It’s like a free for all once hackers get a hold of your Apple device!
According to The Hacker News, the list of issues are realted to “kernels”:
- CVE-2022-32893 – An out-of-bounds issue in WebKit which could lead to the execution of arbitrary code by processing a specially crafted web content
- CVE-2022-32894 – An out-of-bounds issue in the operating system’s Kernel that could be abused by a malicious application to execute arbitrary code with the highest privileges
According to the Daily Mail, people in the public eye, journalists, and activists may be particularly targeted, said Rachel Tobac, CEO of SocialProof Security.
Which Devices are Affected?
Apple’s security experts recommend users to update the following affected devices:
- iPhone 6S and later models
- Several models of the iPad including the 5th generation and later
- All iPad Pro models
- iPad Air 2
- Mac computers running MacOS Monterey
- Some iPod models
What To Do
Apple released three operating system updates: iPad, iOS 15.6.1, and the macOS 12.5.1. Apple claims this will help fix major bugs that could allow hackers into the system.
How to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod wirelessly:
- After backing up your device, connect to the internet
- Go to Settings > General > Tap on Software Update
- If there is more than one software update, choose the one you want to install. (see above)
You can find more information about the latest software updates from Apple here.
Get the news you need at It’s On News.