Man Dies After Eating Oyster

By Brian Hoffman Jun10,2023

A man who ate at Fruit Stand & Seafood died shortly after dining at the establishment and got infected with a deadly bacteria.

Here’s What Happened

The St. Louis County Department of Public Health is urging anyone who purchased oysters from the Fruit Stand & Seafood in Manchester to throw them away, saying that a man died after consuming oysters from the business earlier this week.

The 54-year-old man died after becoming infected by the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, which oysters and other shellfish can carry, the St. Louis County Health Department said. The bacteria can be found in warm, coastal waters, usually in summer. 

“There is no evidence that the business did anything to contaminate the oysters, which likely were already contaminated when the establishment received them,” the department said.

The health department warned that anyone who recently purchased oysters from the establishment should throw them away. 

Those infected usually show symptoms within 12 to 72 hours after consuming the tainted food, though in some cases, symptoms may not appear for as long as a week.

Symptoms of Vibrio vulnificus infection usually include fever, chills, a drop in blood pressure, and skin blisters.

Get the news you need at It’s On News.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *