King Charles III, 75, of Buckingham Palace, has been diagnosed with cancer, authorities announced earlier today.
King Charles III Continues To Work, Steps Back From Public Duties
Britain’s King Charles III has been diagnosed with cancer and will step back from public-facing duties while he undergoes treatment.
The update came after Charles, 75, attended a London hospital for a corrective procedure for an enlarged prostate last month.
“During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer,” the palace said about the King.
“His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual,” they continued.
Tests were carried out and revealed a “form of cancer,” the palace said in a statement on Monday. A royal source told CNN that the form of cancer detected was not prostate cancer, but did not specify further.
Charles was admitted a couple weeks ago for the prostate treatment to the same private London clinic where his daughter-in-law, Kate, the Princess of Wales, underwent an unspecified abdominal surgery. She was also back at home in Windsor and was said to be recovering well as of Jan. 29.
Buckingham Palace says the King “remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.”
He will postpone his public engagements, and other senior royals are expected to help stand in for him during his treatment.
No further details are being shared on the stage of cancer or a prognosis.
Charles was crowned last year after inheriting the monarchy upon the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II. His health is generally understood to have been good. He had a non-cancerous growth removed from his face in 2008, according to The Associated Press.